Ahoy Melbourne!!!


Visiting Australia has always been a goal of mine so when indiBlogger.in sent a mail  with the subject  "It's your time to visit Melbourne NOW!!" where the winner gets a trip to the land down under – I instantly was like “Challenge Accepted”.  

Since some of you may also be vying for the coveted opportunity I thought I’d start you off with a little friendly advice. Have iterations to your entry! 
On my first attempt I went a little crazy and included over a hundred reasons – from learning to use a boomerang to stalking Hugh Jackman. Many many iterations later and I have cut it down to this …
Ladies and gentlemen, the moment you may not have been waiting for – my top picks to why I should visit Melbourne are (in no particular order):
  • 1.      The three Ks
    2.       The great Waugh
    3.       A TV show
    4.       A berry
    5.       and to prove once n for all that Coriolis effect has no impact on a toilet flush

As a child I was captivated by the following creatures from Australia

Koala Bear - I remember my dad buying me my first stuff toy. I was probably around 8 and my parents had taken me to a toy store and asked me to pick a toy. I picked up a Koala Bear stuff toy. I didnt know what it was. I just knew he (Yes! it was a he. He was named Bear. I know, not very original. I had not even seen Breakfast At Tiffany's so I didnt get inspired by that movie either!!!)  was meant for me. I used to hug him every night and go to sleep. 
For the longest time I didnt know that there were actual Koala Bears. I remember seeing them on Discovery Channel and was so fascinated and ever since I 
always wanted to hold a live Koala Bear. Friends of mine who have been to Australia have said that they are the most adorable creatures on earth.

Kangaroo - When you say Kangaroo, the only thing that comes into my mind is Skippy the bush Kangaroo. This was a TV series that I used to watch on Channel 33 as a kid in Dubai. I used to rush back home from school and plonk myself in front of the TV. I used to have Skippy cornflakes (I don't think
the cereal had any association with the show, but I remember that the cover had a pic of the kangaroo and that was enough for me!!) for breakfast. :)


Kookaburra Bird - For those of who don't know anything about this bird , here's a short snippet. They are part of the Kingfisher family and they are famous for their call which sounds like a human laugh. I have never seen or heard one before, other than on Youtube. 
I had this Three Investigators book, The Mystery of the Laughing Shadow, where the Kookaburra bird played a major role. When I read it, I just couldnt imagine a bird having a human laugh and throughout my childhood I thought it was a fictional bird. Years later, when I was bored I searched Kookaburra on Wiki and was surprised to find that such a bird exists.

So if I ever get a chance to go Melbourne, I would love to go see these unique creatures at the Philip island and at the Melbourne Zoo. Won't that be fun???


During my teens, I went through this phase of a cricket crazy Indian but the big difference between me and every other Indian cricket fan was that I had a huge huge crush on Steve Waugh to the point my classmates used to call me Mrs Waugh.

I'm not making this up. I can get my school friends to vouch for this. 
One stop would be at the Melbourne Cricket Ground to check out the Australia Cricket Hall of fame where Steve has been inducted. :)

My recent interest for something Australian is Masterchef Australia which is aired on Star World. PR absolutely cannot stand the show and calls it MasterCrap. I have disowned him for this remark.. :(
I'm a foodie and totally totally love this show. It's only this cooking competition show that I religiously watch. The hosts of this show, especially Gary Mehigan, who is so adorable & is my favorite, are so sweet and polite (so much better than the other versions of the show from other regions!!)
After watching all the seasons of the show, one thing I have been craving to have is fresh Raspberries. I have never ever had them. They look so yum!!! Sigh!! 

I would love to go to the Queen Victoria market and try the wonderful fresh produce available especially yummy raspberries. I have seen the market on the show and its just wonderful to look at all the fresh fruits and vegetables and also try some local cuisine while I'm there. :)

I would definitely go and check out Gary's award winning Feenix restaurant if I have to give an arm and leg for it..

Ok, I want to visit Melbourne NOW!!! PR, do something!!! My birthday, our anniversary is coming up in the near future. I have given you a big hint as to what I want.. :)

PR and those who wana visit Melbourne, check this link, www.visitmelbourne.com/in for further info.. 



All pics courtesy of Google

Popular posts from this blog

Turning 30

Unemployed

Mcbender and FassAvoy